It all began like this……..
Yippeeee, holidays! No routine, no lunch boxes, no rushing to after school activities and no ironing hundreds of white shirts.
Time to get some stuff done, I planned to maximise these two weeks and squeeze it all in.
Out came the list, the ink moving quickly down the page. Task after task was written down and I was ready to roar.
Then reality happened ……
The whaling sounds of ‘what are we doing today?’ launched the mummy guilt rocket early in the week. Phone calls were made, play dates arranged and outings were scheduled.
The days began flying by quickly and the list followed me like a crumpled shadow, hovering in the background in a thick cloak of guilt.
Somehow I felt guilty when I tackled the list and guilty when I didn’t.
Today, as I felt the familiar surge of annoyance rising, I dramatically threw my body down on the bed, knocking over a pile of unread books. As I longingly picked them up, a desire to sit and read washed over me.
There it was again, that whopping BIG inky blob, reminding me of what I was not getting done.
The Yippeee had now dispersed completely, the list that was to help me feel productive was now the main cause of frustration.
It was clear to me this list was all wrong.
So with lego underfoot and this book, The Desire Map: A Guide to Creating Goals with Soul
upon my knee I began to prepare a new list, a plan to Live Fabulously these holidays.
How do I want to feel this holidays?
- Breathe slowly, sit quietly and read for at least an hour each day.
- Schedule one entire day at home each week, no make up, no hair and pyjamas optional
- Doodle a Zentangle, (I am intrigued by this technique)
- Write a poem each week
- Take one long photo walk with the kids
- Bake and create with the kids
- Enjoy one unstructured spontaneous adventure led by the kids.
- Organise some one on one time with each child
- Sit and observe the kids and write one new thing I have discovered in my journal
- Nimble –
- Clean out the kids wardrobes and toy boxes.
- File all last terms paperwork
- Write down three things each day that went well and why they went well.
This is my plan to Live Fabulously these holidays and was born from an intent to fulfil my desires.
Are you ready to write your list of desire?
Let’s do this.
How do you want to feel and what can you do to feel this way?